Important Things to Look for In A Roofing ContractorApril 20, 2020
How to Get Your Home Ready for Roof Replacement ServicesApril 20, 2020
5 Steps to Get Your Roof Back in Shape
Storms are a fact of life here in Central PA. From winter snowstorms to summer thunderstorms, there’s no season of the year that we can expect nothing but blue skies and sunny weather. Storm-related damage can occur at any time, which means you always need to be prepared to deal with it.
That’s why our team put together this simple checklist to help you deal with storm damage wherever and whenever it occurs. Print it out and put it in a safe place or bookmark it in your phone’s browser. You never know when this list will come in handy!
After a Storm, Here’s What You Should Do:
- Be cautious. A little bit of caution can go a long way. For starters, never attempt to climb up on your roof yourself, especially when a storm has made it slick and may have structurally damaged it. Complete all inspections from the ground. Furthermore, if you suspect structural damage to the roof – say, if a tree fell on it – leave the house immediately and don’t go back inside until a professional has determined that your home is safe to re-enter.
- Inspect the outside of your home. This step is about looking for obvious signs of damage. Walk around the outside of your home and look for missing, dented, or curled shingles. (Use a pair of binoculars or the zoom on your phone to get a closer look.) You also want to examine your gutters, windows, and siding for signs of hail damage or water damage. These can indicate that your roof has taken on damage you may not be able to detect from the ground. Take careful notes about everything you find.
- Inspect the inside of your home. Even if the outside looks all right, check the inside of your home for signs of a problem. If your attic or ceilings are showing water spots, your roof may have developed a leak. You’ll also want to carefully examine the underside of your roof from the attic. If you can see daylight coming through the eaves, it’s definitely time for a roof replacement. Once again, note down what you find.
- Contact your homeowners’ insurance company. Homeowners’ insurance will usually cover damage from storms and severe weather (although some exceptions may apply). Review your policy to ensure that the damage you spotted is covered. Then give your agent or company a call to report the damage and start the claims process.
- Call Dreamworx Exteriors for roof repairs. At this point, you’ve reached the limit of what you, the homeowner, can do. It’s time to call in the professionals. At Dreamworx Exteriors, we have over 30 years of experience under our toolbelts. Our roofing company can handle all kinds of storm damage roof repairs, including everything from replacing a few torn-off shingles to complete roof replacement. Rest assured that we’ll soon have your roof back to normal, so give us a call when you need us!